Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pine Wood Derby 2012

March 3rd, 2012...The big day finally arrived after a month or so of preparation and anticipation.
THE PINE WOOD DERBY
For those of you out there not familiar with the pine wood derby, it's a scout thing.

Basically you start with a block of wood: (as pictured at Hobby Lobby, and I will have you know that there is now a beautiful blue paint stain on this aisle)


then you have to cut out your own car, paint it, add regulation wheels and axles, and weights so that it is 5 ounces. Easy right?? Sure.... So here goes!



Eric decided that he wanted his derby car to be shaped like a fire truck. I must say that Jamie and I thought he was a little crazy for this and tried to prepare him that it may not be the most aerodynamic kind of derby car out there, but his mind was made up and this was after all his race. So he and Jamie designed his car and cut it out, then Eric painted it and added some stickers and of course a light bar.
Super cool fire truck, right??

Not to be left out, Jamie and JE each had to have their own car for sibling and adult races... (I'm not sure how I got left out of this one)

JE's green car with red wheels

Jamie's Car
So, now back to race day....

Guest speaker up first, Race Car driver ( his name has slipped my mind?)




Now let's go racing...
All the cars lined up ready to go.. some really cool designs there

1st race... Eric's car is on the right

Woo Hoo won the first race, and then most every race afterwards! Who knew a fire truck derby car would be so fast, but I guess it is a fire truck!!
Here are the top 3 racers getting ready for the final races!

Eric receiving his 3rd place trophy from Matthew!

Great Job Eric! We are so proud that you finished 3rd in your first ever derby race!


The three winners!! Congrats guys! You did awesome!


Next up, the sibling race. JE only had to compete against 2 other siblings.

Here we are getting ready to go...  remember, JE is the green car

Look at it go...

He's so happy that his car is finally racing!

JE placed 2nd in the sibling race!

He's so happy to get a trophy!


Lastly they held the adult/ leader race.

I think that is jamie's car on the left??

Jamie's car smoked everyone else's... of course if I had entered a car, we all know I would have won!!

Which led to a first place win! Great job James!!

My three winners! Tired and ready to go home... two of which need a nap I think!

Our three cars racing finished in the order that they each won! How cool is that!


We had a great time derby racing! WE learned a lot of stuff so that we can improve next year and see if we can make it a sweep of all three events!! Of course I may decide next year to throw my hat in the ring! Stay tuned to find out!!

No comments: